Birchwood has been traditionally used in cheese preservation for hundreds of years. Its bark has been wrapped as a belt around soft cheeses for even ripening and added woodsy flavor, and has been made into barrels for the aging of Greek Feta. It’s also been used during the smoking of Idiazabal cheese. Most importantly, birch has been used as shelves for aging in caves. Its tight surface is slower to absorb and release moisture, making it excellent for long-term storage. The finished birch featured in this model is sustainably made, and non-toxic. The finish on the birch makes it mold and stain resistant, both in the interior and exterior.
The Grotto Fresco has a smaller footprint of 7 inches by 9 inches with a height of 8 inches, making it the perfect size for the metropolitan cheese lover with a smaller refrigerator who loves entertaining on the weekends. Shelving heights accommodate just about any cheese.
It features a bio-based, non-toxic, anti-microbial floor made of linseed oil which helps naturally regulate any mold growth and the genuine leather tab makes for an easy grip on the sliding door.
- Smaller footprint than the Cheese Grotto Classico
- Choice between two removable shelves (Original Bamboo or Black Resin with writable soapstone chalk)
- 1 handcrafted clay brick for humidity control
- Vaulted ceiling for condensation control
- Holds 3 to 4 pounds of cheese
- Anti-microbial floor
- Plyboo material and birch do not warp
- Finished birch is stain resistant
- Genuine leather tab with copper mount
- Plexi-glass paneling for easy viewing
- Sliding door is easy to open and close in the refrigerator
- Made in the USA (New York)
- Handwash only
- 9 inches deep, 7 inches wide, 8 inches tall
- 5 pounds
- Materials designed for durability